Tuesday, November 21, 2017

My Favourite Work of Art

For me the highlight of our guided tour through the Dunedin School of Art today was being able to speak to many of the artists themselves about their art. In the past, I very rarely had the opportunity to talk to the artist in person regarding their work. This is due to a number of reasons, one of which being that I have only recently wanted to approach artists to discuss their work and learn about who they are and their creative journey. My mother started painting for a living when I was 10 years old. Observing her all-too-common bouts of absolute frustration with her works of art discouraged me from wanting to talk to her about her art and her reasons for being an artist. Needless to say, I am extremely proud of my mum and all that she has accomplished with her work. It's very hard for me to choose a favourite piece of hers, but I quite like this one! 

Image result for homeward joanna dudson scott

Her website:
http://www.dudsonscottgallery.nz/

One of my favourite exhibits from today's tour, and one that links nicely with our Maori Project work on Fridays, would have to be the one found in the first gallery on the back wall of the five sensor-illuminated masks. The artist has combined sculpture and technology to incredible effect, whereby the moko on the chins of these five casts of notable local Maori people are only revealed once the mask is back-lit. I interpreted the sensor's role in lighting up the face, (literally and figuratively!) letting the culture and personality of the people shine through. This close, you actually see the person for who they really are, the moko an indication, or acknowledgement, of their ancestry. However, when you walk away from the casts, they return to being dark, a nameless, faceless person waiting for the next person to approach them to discover them and appreciate them for who they truly are.


1 comment:

  1. You must be very proud of your mum. I've visited your mum's website. It was incredible that every single one of them was really impressive. Now I can understand why you looked so happy when we were visiting the exhibition. It might have evoked the memories of your mum!

    ReplyDelete