Wednesday, November 29, 2017

My 30-Day Challenge (latest update: 4/12)

My 30-Day Challenge is to get out to my garden for a couple of minutes to get some gardening done. I tend to go all out and dig for hours on end, or do nothing at all and watch the weeds grow out of control from the comfort of my living room. The former causes me terrible muscle aches after a session, whereas the latter causes me feelings of laziness and frustration. I have aspirations of getting out into the garden to combat its overgrown look, make it manageable and grow produce to feed my family and others in my community. The link to Farm Bot below, a garden set up that is productive, yet autonomous, would be perfect for my young family. Sustainability at its best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r0CiLBM1o8

Until I can afford to by and maintain this type of set up, I will most likely start with removing some of my camillia bushes, and in their place erect a small glasshouse:

https://edenlite.co.nz/glasshouses-greenhouses/small-range/

Day one: dig a weed out and cut a branch!

Day 3: Since I last posted, my son's school were selling some seedlings at his school, so I purchased 5 of them at 50c each. I cleared a small corner of my veggie patch last night and planted them. I now have butternut squash, beetroot, coriander and sweat pea flowers (which I mistakenly thought was a green pea plant), in my veggie patch, and basil in a pot on the deck outside the front door. I watered them and managed to pull a few weeds up out of other parts of my garden on the way back inside. I am more than a little embarrassed of my veggie patch with all its weeds, but I am excited about the prospect of producing food, so will take a pic in the next day or two to show you...grow, little seedlings, grow!

No comments:

Post a Comment