Wednesday, January 31, 2018

who I am


Who I am

I am a Muslim Omani girl who was born in Muscat the capital city of Oman and I am going to study dentistry in New Zealand. Family is the most important thing in my life. I have got 3 brothers, one sister, 17 aunties, 9 uncles and so many cousins. On Friday which is a weekend day in Oman “we call it gathering day” where the whole family have lunch together after the Friday pray. Some Omani families including mine can speak an African  language which is Swahili because of the Omani rule of Zanzibar (Tanzania right now) for approximately 160 years (from 1804 – 1963) where Omani people got married to African women and some of the Omani families lives there till this day.

Most Omani families are originally from another city but moved to the capital for work or study. I am originally from Adam which is a small village in the interior area. Omani family’s names represent where are they originally from and usually more than 500 people have the same family name but they don’t know each other because they could be fifth or sixth cousins.

I really love science especially maths and biology. Since I was eight years old I have dreamed of becoming a surgeon. My father is my biggest support. He always encourage me to keep moving forward to my dream and here I am working on my dream to be a facial and maxillofacial surgeon. I also enjoy watching online surgeries and medical series.

As many Muslim women I have chosen to wear Hijab for religious believes and I am so proud of that. In my religion we pray 5 prayers a day which I believe are helping me deal with the homesick and life problems in general.

Participating in social activities has always been my passion. When I was  7th grade at school I participated in the student administration and by the 11th grade I become the leader of the administration where we discussed students` problems and tryed to find solutions and write our thoughts to the ministry of education in Oman.

Arabic music has been always my favourite and I adore the Syrian singer Asala. Her voice is so unique as much as her songs that I personally feel that I live in a different beautiful world when I listen to her.  I enjoy some other activities such as ice skating and camping and I wish to try sky diving one day.

2 comments:

  1. Wow I could get to know a lot about your culture and who you are. So interesting! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very formal writing, but really good to know new culture.

    ReplyDelete